70% of adults say they experience anxiety on a daily basis, and 30% report their anxiety levels are constant. Research has demonstrated that negative, stress-inducing life events can indeed compromise the immune system, making someone more susceptible to infections and diseases. If not properly taken care of, the interactions between emotional stress and the body can exacerbate (and even initiate) serious chronic diseases, such as type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and chronic pain. Using stories and anecdotes from patients he’s worked with, THE STRESS ANSWER presents an easy-to-follow 45-day regiment to change the way the body and mind processes stress, which will lead to the ultimate stress release. Some of the helpful advice Dr. Lawlis provides in his plans includes:
· Breathing techniques: taking quick, shallow breaths usually signals the brain that a threat exists, which stimulates a stress response, and therefore destructive thinking patterns. Conversely, taking slow, deep breaths usually signals the brain that the coast is clear and all is well
· Proper nutrition: Dr. Lawlis gives a list of “brain healthy” foods, such as foods with Omega-3s, which combat depression, enhance learning and memory, and are major aids in brain plasticity
· Playing games like Solitaire, Crossword Puzzles/Sudoku, and Scrabble will help the mind to focus
· Listening to music: research shows that self-selected relaxing music significantly reduces anxiety and nervous system arousal.
· Chewing gum: The act of chewing has been known to settles anxiety levels.
Anyone from ages 9 to 90 can benefit from the techniques that Dr. Lawlis outlines on THE STRESS ANSWER. I hope you will consider the book for feature or review.
Interviews are available; requests should be made to:
Viking, Penguin Books
375 Hudson St.
New York, NY 10014
Last modified: January 23, 2011
Copyright, All Rights Reserved, G. Frank Lawlis, 2011